Chartered Accountants, or CAs, are business professionals who generally work in four key areas. About 40 percent of CAs are in Public Practice, while the other 60 percent are employed in industry, government, or education.
Most CAs begin their career working as advisors in public practice, providing accounting and business advice to clients in areas such as small business tax, audit, information technology, personal financial planning, business valuation, receivership, insolvency and forensic investigation.
CAs who work in industry develop financial and administrative policies, analyze information, and provide strategic leadership. CAs add value to organizations as CEO/President, Treasurer/V.P. Finance, Controller, or Systems Developer.
All levels of government require accounting expertise to guide financial planning and to maintain fiscal control. Federal and provincial departments, Crown corporations and a variety of health-care and welfare organizations employ CAs as tax auditors, policy planners and financial analysts.
Many CAs are educators who make a valuable contribution to society by teaching future leaders about business, values and ethics. Many of Canada's top educators are CAs.
CAs provide a wide range of services including:
- Start-up counseling
- Purchase and sale of business
- Business valuations
- Business planning and financial projections
- Developing strategies for securing financing
- Corporate and personal income tax planning
- Information technology need analysis
- Assurance (audits and reviews)
- Preparation and analysis of financial information
- Acting as Trustee for receivership, insolvency or bankruptcy
- Developing management controls
- Management consulting
- Forensic accounting and litigation support
Compensation for Chartered Accountants Jobs
For additional information on compensation for chartered accountants jobs in Canada refer to the articles below. The areas include:
Compensation for Chartered Accountants Jobs by Title
For additional information on compensation for chartered accountants jobs by title refer to the articles below. The areas include:
The complete 2011 Chartered Accountant Salary Survey can be found here.
CA Source, a service of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, is designed to help you recruit the CAs that are best for your position. Click How to Use CA Source to learn how to get started today.